It's been a week since alpha2 hit the scene and development has continued full steam ever since. The Epic Touch CM Team has been working diligently to fix bugs, improve functionality, and more. Enough work has been completed since alpha2's release that we can warrant a "coming soon" blog post ;). Even so, more work needs to be done and we're looking to our users to learn what's most important for our next update. More information on how to contact us can be found at the bottom of this post.
Along with bug squashing and additional features, there's still the matter of the kernel. You've probably noticed how much we've progressed so far. While we've been examining and working with the code we have, we still need more help to get it running at peak performance; either that or we'll have to wait for kernel sources from Samsung, (which shouldn't be too far in the future :)
- More roaming options. Home, International Roaming, National Roaming, or None.
- Kernel updated to FD02. including a change to the adb binary to match CyanogenMod's root implementation. "adb shell" will now return a non-root shell unless "adb root" is used first.
- Faster GPS location triangulation. With help from the latest leaks we've been able to update the proprietary libs to give us more efficient and reliable GPS.
- Phantom voicemail fixed (for real this time). With alpha2 we forgot to compile our Phone.apk with the flag to get rid of that pesky phantom voicemail. For alpha3, you can be sure to see that fixed.
- Manual CPU frequency setting. The option that used to be greyed out in performance settings can now be adjusted. There's no overclock or anything of that nature, yet; we need kernel sources for that.
- Improved battery life. We've been working on tweaks to the framwork's xml files to optimize our builds specially for Epic 4G Touch, and we've been returning results with much better battery life. Darchstar reported that he got around 20 hours of battery life with moderate-to-heavy usage.
Along with all these updates concerning only Epic 4G Touch, there have also been updates in upstream CyanogenMod that you can hope to see in the future, e.g. pinch to zoom in the camera app.
Now we want to direct our focus to our users! We find your input extremely valuable to the development of our ROMs. And so we ask: what bugs do you really want to see fixed as we move into alpha3? Any requests? Feel Free to join us in our IRC Channel to talk about it, or comment on our Google+ or Facebook